What You Need to Know After Applying for a Visa in Japan

Just like many other countries, applying a visa is a way long process. In Japan, applying for a student visa requires attention and patience due to it is a long process.

Each step in securing a student visa in Japan is absolutely important. After applying for a student visa, you have to wait patiently as it will take some time to process the application. However, you can start searching for your accommodation while waiting. Once the application has been processed, the school will usually send you something called the Certificate of Eligibility through mail, which is used to be exchanged for your student visa.

Looking for Accommodation

It is the best time to start applying for an accommodation in Japan while your visa application is being processed. Some schools help students in searching for housing options. If students request help from the school, they will receive a form asking them their priority whether it is location, size, price and others. There are several types of accommodation they can choose from such as host families, share-houses and apartments. Students will be provided with a list of few different housing options based on their personal preferences.

Securing Insurance

If you are in for a long term, you will be eligible to apply for the National Health Insurance System, which covers 70% of your medical expenses in the country. However, the insurance takes some time to start. Meanwhile, the remaining 30% in case your school doesn’t provide its own medical insurance will be shouldered by no other than yourself. But don’t lose hope as there are some schools that partners with agencies which provide affordable travel insurance which can either be used to cover that in-between period before the National Health Insurance kicks in or that remaining 30%.

Certificate of Eligibility

Moving back to that Certificate of Eligibility or also best known as COE, it is an important step in applying for a student visa. If a student’s application pushes through, the school will initially receive the COE, which will then be mailed to the student. If you worry about the CEO not being delivered to you on time or not delivered at all, many schools provide an option of using registered mail when sending the CEO. However, the student will have to be the one shouldering its expenses. And, once you receive your CEO, you will need to take it to your local Japanese embassy or consulate. In some locations, they allow you to send it through mail, while some require you to bring it in personally. You will need to bring your passport, a passport-style photo and your visa application along with your COE. Once they found all your information acceptable, the consulate will then exchange your COE for a student visa.

Arriving in Japan

There are plenty of things that need to be taken care of upon your arrival in Japan. Some of these things must be dealt with once you set foot at the airport in Japan like securing your residence card and submitting the application for permission to work part-time. It’s actually very simple and you will be able to accomplish these things through your usual check in at the airport.

Once everything in your accommodation has been settled, you will now need to register your Japanese residence card with your address at the local ward office within 14 days and then apply for a health care. This is very simple but very important so it is highly recommended to take care of these things as soon as you set foot in Japan. Another thing to remember is that you cannot register your address if you are only staying in a temporary accommodation like a hostel and AirBnB. It is also highly recommended for students to get their accommodation ready before they come to Japan.

There are so many steps in making your transition to living in Japan that is why it is very important to apply early since the process takes a bit longer.

Aizelle Joe

Philippines

50 Views